Get in touch with us by calling or filling out the form below
Dental Implants in Whittier, CA
Dental implants help patients who are missing teeth and do not feel as confident with their smile or have trouble functioning without them. Dental implants may be an option for those who wish to increase their confidence or do not wish to commit to dentures.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are artificial tooth roots usually made from metal or biocompatible material, such as titanium or ceramic. These biocompatible materials make it easier for the material to fuse to the jawline as it heals since they are materials usually found within the body. This way, the body does not think of the implants as a foreign object and reject it.
The result of the dental implants is a replacement tooth that provides a stable foundation for further dental procedures, such as a crown, bridge, or dentures.
Dental Implants as a Procedure
There are typically three stages to preparing for dental implants:
- Comprehensive Dental Exams. To prepare for the procedure, we must first prepare through dental x-rays, 3D images, and models of the patient’s teeth and jaw.
- Medical History Reviewal. We must also review the patient’s medical history to be aware of possible complications since dental implants are a surgical procedure. We must be aware of any medical conditions, prescribed or over-the-counter medications or supplements. Antibiotics may also be provided before surgery to prevent infection, so we need to be aware of any heart conditions or orthopedic implants.
- Treatment. Finally, we will review a customized treatment plan for the patient since each case is unique, considering the number of teeth lost, the state of the teeth remaining, and the jawbone.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
There are several benefits to dental implants and why we may recommend them to a patient. Listed below are the benefits:
1. More Secure Than Bridges and Dentures
Dental implants offer more secure tooth placement than other forms of tooth-replacements practices like bridges and dentures. Dental implants tend to be more secure since they mimic a patient’s natural tooth structures so they can feel confident and secure in the smile they have. They are also more secure since the implant directly connects to the patient’s jawline.
2. Stimulate Bone Tissue
Dental implants are also different from bridges and dentures as they can help strengthen a patient’s jawbone. When a patient is missing a tooth, the tissue where the tooth used to be begins to weaken and deteriorate the bone tissue from the lack of stimulation. Dental implants stimulate the tissue, so the jawbone will not deteriorate, but will strengthen the bone tissue.
3. Protects From Bone Loss
Similar to dental implants stimulating bone tissue to keep the jaw healthy, it also prevents bone loss. This prevention of bone loss has the added benefits of keeping the patient’s mouth healthier and retaining the shape of their face.
Candidacy for Dental Implants
For patients to be eligible for dental implants, patients need to have the following for us to help them:
- Healthy gums: Patients can still receive dental implants, but if they have a condition that affects their gums, such as gum diseases like gingivitis, that needs treatment first. Dental implants will not be successful if the gums are not healthy.
- Substantial jawbone tissue: Patients also need to have a substantial amount of jawbone tissue for the implants to be anchored into for a successful procedure resulting in proper functionality. If there is no substantial tissue to anchor the implants to, it will not have a firm enough grip. Fortunately, a bone graft is available as an option for patients who still wish to receive dental implants.
Make an Appointment Today
Contact Saman Edalat D.D.S. of Whittier, CA if you want to learn more about dental implants or make an appointment to get a healthier, more confident smile.
If you’re pressed for time but still want the best that teeth whitening has to offer, ZOOM! whitening could be perfect for you. With ZOOM! whitening, bright, white teeth can be yours in about an hour. Using light activated whitening gel, ZOOM! whitening is fast, safe and more effective than take-home whitening kits. Whether you’re a busy professional, have a special event coming up or just want a smile boost, ZOOM! whitening is great for just about everyone.